Sunday, October 16, 2011

Grandma


A rare beauty passed away quietly this week, Grandmother Mary.  She had been through alot, seen much, and done everything one could imagine.  She lived a full life and regretted nothing.  Diabetes took a leg years ago and left her in a wheelchair, but that didn't stop her.  Multiple strokes these past few months had left her partially paralyzed and unable to communicate as effectively as she would have liked.  Ultimately, she was bedridden in her final weeks, and though I am sure this was hard for her. True to form, she marshaled on, because she was a fighter.  She never gave up or lost faith.

She was a strong, passionate, Christian woman that loved life and her family and they were there at her bedside as she went to meet her Father.  I console myself with the knowledge that she is now made whole, standing beside those loved-ones that preceded her in death, an arm's length from our heavenly Father.  No longer suffering from the frailties of her spent human body, rejoicing in perfection and kicking Grandpa's tail allover the place.

I am thankful for my Aunt Donna. She lovingly cared for her Mother these many months, hardly sleeping, running down her own body.  From morning to night Donna fought through pain, lack of sleep, and the emotional turmoil that accompanies seeing your Mother in this state and gave Grandma the best care I have ever witnessed.  I feel truly blessed to have been able to accompany my Mother and to be by Grandma's side one last time, to let her know I love her and to say goodbye.

Thank you friends for your words of encouragement, compassion, and prayers.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. Love and blessings to you and your family.

    Kateri @ Dandelion Haven

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are with you and your family. I'm glad you were able to be there with your grandmother. {{HUGS}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kateri and Candy. She was a really special lady. They don't make them like her anymore. I was fortunate to have known her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this sad time Heidi.She sounds like a wonderful person. You were a lucky grandaughter!
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

My email address is whitewolfsummitfarmgirl@gmail.com.