Fridays are lab day at the school farm for my Vegetable Crop Production class. Today we were very busy. We spent the last two Friday Lab Days preparing the soil for crops. Today, we actually made beds and planted close to 11,000 transplants. (*Click on a picture to enlarge the view)
Our teacher is amazing. He is new to our school, so we were all curious about his teaching style, but as the weeks go by, we are learning that he is organized, tech savvy, and helpful. He also happens to be the Farm Adviser for our region. Which means he is the State Extension Office representative to local commercial vegetable farmers. We live in the 3rd biggest Ag county economy in the country and just below the #1 and #2 Ag counties in the country, so he HAS to be very knowledgeable. Already, picking his brain just a few times, I am so excited to have him nearby. We are going to learn a lot from him this semester.
He prepared a diagram of the field that demonstrated what and where we would be planting. Then, he gave students bright pink flags to place at intervals to mark the rows and sections off. (You may be able to see them in the background of the photo) Next, he broke the class into teams of two students and he gave each team an 8" long cookie spatula and transplants. The cookie spatula worked great. We used them to make the holes for the transplants and to measure the distance to the next hole. It worked like an assembly line. One student would make a hole, measure forward to the next hole, and the next student followed behind placing and planting the seedlings. It really went FAST and because of the cookie spatulas, the plants were evenly spaced making the rows look great.
Our professor was able to obtain an amazing 11,000 seedlings via donation from a very generous grower- Greenheart Farms. Thank you GREENHEART FARMS and customer service representative Paul Hertel for getting our vegetable crop production class off to a GREAT start.
We planted romaine lettuce, green and red leaf lettuce, purple and green cabbage, and broccoli. The seedlings looked great, so I expect some nice looking vegetables. They were all planted about 8" apart. Have a look at a few pics of our progress.
and when we were done planting, the sprinklers were turned on and everything got a good watering.
This is the last class I need to graduate, and I have some experience in classrooms. This group of students are really hard workers. Most of them are young, my son's age. For the most part they all work well together and are good to each other. I feel blessed to be in this class with such a nice group of kids, but it does make me miss my kiddo...
At the end of the lab, our professor asked us to get together for a class photo. I have a keepsake to remember the day.
This class runs through November so I will post about our labs as often as we experience something of interest to home gardeners. Our field is broken up into two main sections: organic and conventional. I hope to learn a lot of helpful information through the course of this experiment as we compare crops in both sections and learn alternative remedies for the organic field setting.
Have a GREAT weekend!
This post was linked up to the following HOPS:
(You may notice that I have pasted code instead of a link, that's because I recently found a few instances where links were deactivated after a post was archived by blogger.)