Saturday, December 3, 2011

Homemade Christmas Ornament #2 Primitive Angels

     These little prim angels are a family favorite.  They're fast and easy and as yo can see from the examples above, I make them up with what I have on hand.  Who doesn't love using up leftovers?
     To make these little angels, I just draw a pattern for the muslin heads and gunny sack bodies on paper, cut out 20 sets at a time, and sew in an assembly line.
Head- The head pattern shapes were made by drawing a skinny triangle about 5" long and 2" wide at its base.  I shape the top (head) area by rounding and softening it's shape, so it looks like a head and has an obvious neck.  I add a 1/4" seam allowance, sew in an assembly line, turn them out and stuff them with leftover polyfil.  I whip-stitch the bottoms closed.  It will be stuffed into the body "sack" later.
Body- To make the body sack, I just estimate how long and wide I want the body to be and add a 1/4 seam allowance to the rectangle.  I just measured one and it's about 5" tall and 4' wide at its base including seam allowances.  I sew up both sides and the base, but leave the top open and I do not finish top edges, I want them rough.  Turn.  Add a bit of stuffing if you like.  Handsew a running stitch along top about 3/8" from edge and insert head.  Draw thread taught and knot it closed.  I always a add a few more stitches to lock head into body sack.
Wings- As you can see, I use what I have.  Raffia, wired ribbon, hammered copper, whatever medium available.  I attach them either with wire, hot glue, or strong thread, depending on the medium.
Hair- I have used doll hair, raffia, cut up wire brillo pads in the past.
Face- I use Pigma micron thin waterproof pens to draw faces.  They never run.  I also use old cosmetics ie: cheek color and a Q-tip to apply cheek color to angels.
Embellishments- I add cute buttons, ribbons, bells, bows.  I run a pearl cotton thread through head for tree hanger.  They can be scented with cinnamon oil or clove oil too. Enjoy!

This ornament is linked to Deborah Jean's Dandelion House 
 & 


Thanks for visiting, I hope you stop by again. I like comments.

6 comments:

  1. Gosh, those are just SOOO cute! Thanks for a quick and easy craft project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy, Michelle, Country Gal, and Candy1 Wow! SO many encouraging words from some great blog friends. Have a great weekend ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so pretty! I love angels! Thanks for linking up to the "Ole' Saturday Homesteading Trading Post" at Lil' Suburban Homestead!

    ReplyDelete

My email address is whitewolfsummitfarmgirl@gmail.com.