Monday, September 17, 2012

The Country Garden Showcase

This week the sun is going down a little earlier each night as the days get shorter.  The plants and animals seem to know what's happening.
The hens are even putting themselves to bed early.  
 In the garden, tomatoes and summer squash are taking their time, slowly ripening.
 They're hanging in there in spite of our cool nights, so far.
In the chicken garden, the sunflowers have bloomed and seeds are forming...  it won't be long before I can harvest some great sunflower seeds to dry for my hens to snack on.  A small victory.
The beehives are still busy as foragers work to put up as much food as they can before the weather takes a turn for the worse.
I have still not moved them to their new permanent foundations in the orchard, but every time I plan and get my suit on, I give in to the heat and humidity.  I did complete hive inspections today though and the hives are all looking pretty good inside.  Full of honey now.  I need to toughen up and get to work.

I still need to complete some yard chores this week and tidy up the yard before winter gets here, but I am taking it easy this week.  That's the progress in my yard for the week.

I hope you have a GREAT week in your garden.










2 comments:

  1. Our days are getting shorter also. The hens are in between 6:30 and 7 now. Before to long it will be dark at 4:30. Makes for l o n g evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please be careful about moving the hives. My beekeeper said either move them 3 feet or 3 miles, because they follow scent trails back and get confused and follow old trails back to the old hive location. He is going to move mine in the winter when they are not active.

    ReplyDelete

My email address is whitewolfsummitfarmgirl@gmail.com.