Sunday, November 13, 2011

Southern Buttermilk Biscuits

These are my last batch. I've made 4 batches in 5 days. They disappear!
    Here's an old fashioned recipe that you won't be able to get enough of. It's the best recipe for southern buttermilk biscuits that I have ever tried and this recipe (from Food.com) meets my three requirements. Fast. Easy. Yummy. Here it is...

Ingredients:
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more to sift on cutting board
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, very cold
1 cup buttermilk

Directions:
     Preheat your oven to 450°F. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, or in the bowl of a food processor. Cut the butter into chunks and cut into the flour. I used a pastry blender, but you can use a food processor. Add the buttermilk and mix until combined. If it's on the dry side, add a bit more buttermilk. It should be very wet. Turn the dough out onto a floured board. Gently, pat the dough out with your fingers until it's about a half inch thick. do NOT use a rolling pin. Fold the dough 5 times. Gently press the dough down to a thickness of between 3/4and 1 inch. Use a round cutter to cut into rounds, I use a regular mason jar lid. Put the biscuits on a cookie sheet. (note from author- if you like soft sides, put them touching each other. If you like"crusty" sides, put them about 1 inch apart- these will not rise as high as the biscuits put close together.) Bake for about 10-15 minutes. The biscuits will be light golden brown on top and bottom. Do not overbake.

(Food.com author's notes: The key to real biscuits is not in the ingredients, but in the handling of the dough. The dough must be handled as little as possible or you will have tough biscuits. I have found that a food processor produces superior biscuits, because the ingredients stay colder and there's less chance of overmixing. You also must pat the dough out with your hands, lightly. Rolling with a rolling pin is a guaranteed way to overstimulate the gluten, resulting in a tougher biscuit. Note 2: You can make these biscuits, cut them, put them on cookie sheets and freeze them for up to a month. When you want fresh biscuits, simply place them frozen on the cookie sheet and bake at 450°F for about 20 minutes.) I have baked AND frozen them per the author's instructions and later baked the frozen ones. They turned out PERFECT!

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/southern-buttermilk-biscuits-26110#ixzz1dbIGLRMJ

These are a perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table. Check out our Thanksgiving Recipe Challenge BLOG HOP for more great recipes to trim your table with.

8 comments:

  1. Oh they look and sound soo YUMMY ! Thanx for sharing .I will have to give them a try. We like the English scones that are similar to these ! Have a good evening !

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look fluffy and soooo delicious. I love that you can see all the light gorgeous layers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heidi-
    Thank you for signing up to follow my blog. I followed the link back to your own blog. I LOVE this recipe for bisquits and am copying it down to give it a try. My family loves homemade bisquits. My recipe is a bit more involved so I hope this turns out for me.
    I hope you are having a wonderful Sunday and I'll be back!;>) Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love buttermilk biscuits and it has taken me so long to figure out how to make some that aren't rock hard. Your note about the handling of the dough being key is so right! This sounds like a delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those biscuits look gorgeous!
    Yum!
    I am book marking this page!
    Kristin
    Sweet Country Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good looking biscuits! It took me years to figure out about not handling the dough too much, what a difference it makes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your biscuits look fabulous! I have never tried kosher salt in mine before. I will try your recipe probably tomorrow they look so yummy! Thanks for linking up and sharing at Lil' Suburban Homestead's - The Ole' Saturday Trading Post Link Up! and thanks for being patient with me getting my linky working!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay...this one is great too:) I hope you are able to link-up! Here’s the link: http://frugallysustainable.blogspot.com/2011/11/frugal-days-sustainable-ways-1.html

    Very sincerely,
    Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable
    Here's the link: http://www.frugallysustainable.com

    ReplyDelete

My email address is whitewolfsummitfarmgirl@gmail.com.