Thursday, August 18, 2011

Cake Number Two...

Some of you know that I have been teaching myself how to bake, decorate, and stack a tiered cake recently. My son will be getting married in less than 30 days ,and genius that I am, I thought it would be nice to make the kids their wedding cake.  (The price quote from a local professional cake decorator pushed me forward too, she charges $5 per person, that would have been way more than I can or would afford for a piece of cake.)

So, here I am posting another example of what I am learning.  I made this cake using the yellow cake recipe found in the Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook, to double the 14" base required four batches of the recipe.  I used the Wilton High Humidity Buttercream Icing recipe as "glue" to stack and prep the cake to cover with fondant.  I covered this cake in a yummy marshmallow fondant that I made by folding microwave melted marshmallows into a mountain of powdered sugar.  It got a bit shiny in the heat and humidity last night, so I think I am going to experiment with a bit of corn starch today on my next cake for our friends' wedding anniversary.

I have made a few "test" cakes so far, and I am learning a bit from every cake.  My only problem has been trying to find ways to give them away afterwards (so I don't get tempted to eat all that butter, marshmallows, and sugar.)  Last night, I completed my largest "base" cake so far, a 14" giant.  Un-frosted it was so heavy my wrists ached holding it.  My son is halfway through wind turbine technician school so I decorated it with a stylized windmill and sent it with him to school today.  Here's a few pictures...



No comments:

Post a Comment

My email address is whitewolfsummitfarmgirl@gmail.com.