Thursday, May 3, 2012

Farmgirl Friday #56


Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from the corn field.
Dwight D. Eisenhower



Happy Friday!

Today I am bushed.  I had a fun filled busy week.  I attended my Master Gardening class on Monday and my first local beekeeping meeting on Tuesday.  I have been reading up on my bees and chicks every chance I get and working in the garden weeding and watering.  My greenhouse is full of tomato plants and now it's brimming with baby herb and flower plants too.  I transplanted my last tomato plants today and will be transplanting armenian cucumbers and various squash tomorrow.  I hope to get s few things planted Saturday.  It's too windy out yet.  We are experiencing sustained 30 mph winds and are expecting the same tomorrow.  That means no planting, no beehive inspections, and no pea trellis weaving for now.  

I have been sitting inside trying to catch up on my blog reading and want to share a few of my favorite links from the last Farmgirl Friday...  
http://ladyfarmersgarden.blogspot.com/2012/04/weaving-pea-trellis.html
Over at the Lady Farmer's Garden blog I saw a fun tutorial for how to weave my own pea trellis HERE.  I had to try it.  I got a few rolls if sisal and so began my journey.  I have been having a lot of fun making the trellis.    It's a bit time consuming, but it is starting to look so pretty.  I'll share when it's done.

http://www.creationsbydina.blogspot.com/2012/04/whole-grain-granola-bars.html
At Dina's blog The Creative Home she shared her recipe for delicious looking whole grain granola bars HERE.  I have everything I need to mix myself up a batch this weekend.  I'll report back after I've devoured them...

http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/2012/04/killing-little-ants-naturally.html
Then, I hopped on over to Clint's blog The Redeemed Gardener to check out his post Killing Little Ants Naturally HERE.  I have been noticing a few ants here and there in the house since the last rainstorm.  I am going to give this recipe a try.  Borax is the key ingredient in my favorite store bought ant traps and they work so this should too.   Thank you Clint.  

http://dandelionhaven.blogspot.com/2012/04/starting-tomatoes-easy-way.html
Kateri of Dandelion Haven has a unique way to start tomato plants in winter outdoors HERE.   Instead of starting seeds indoors she starts them in recycled plastic jugs outside.  She sets the jugs out in winter and allows the seeds to germinate naturally, when they temperatures are just right for her region.  I wonder if my short growing season would make this impractical, I am not really sure, but she's doing it further north than I am so it might just work.  I am going to try this next season.  It eliminates hardening off and would seem to make heartier plants.  Thank you for sharing a great new gardening idea Kateri.

There were so many great links last week, I wish I could share them all again in detail, but then you'd never get to link up and share what YOU'VE been up to this week so I'll stop here but please check them all out.  You'll be glad you did.


Whats new in your farmgirl/boy world this week? Tell us on the hop! 



1.) Write a post about your farmgirl lifestyle and brag a little about your farmgirl talents while your at it! Share what being a farmgirl means to you. Include lots of photos of your farm, crafts, animals, quilts, home decor projects and thrifty make overs, your backyard garden, chicken coop, recipes, studio or workshop. You get the idea!



2). Leave your entry in the Mr. Linky space to your Farmgirl Friday post.



3). Please include the Farmgirl Friday button ( or link back here ) in your post and remember to share this hop with all of your blogging friends!


Have a great week and don't forget to leave a note on the Hen House door today!

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to trying the pea trellis project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, from what I understanding, wintersowing does work in where winters are warmer as well. Here it the link to the first wintering sowing website--you can check out their FAQs for more info. (And thanks for the link to my post! :) http://wintersown.org/wseo1/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those granola bars look really yummy! Thanks for hosting again this week, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the recognition! I hope you kill all those little buggers!

    ReplyDelete

My email address is whitewolfsummitfarmgirl@gmail.com.